Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"How to Win Friends & Influence People"

So far I really enjoy this book. I like how he uses many examples from history to get his point across. I have seen first hand what it means when Carnegie say "...human nature in action, wrongdoers, blaming everybody but themselves." In my experience people who are in the wrong will never admit it is their fault. 
My favorite quote from this chapter was from Benjamin Franklin when he said "I will speak ill of no man, and speak all the good I know of everybody." I also like how Carnegie goes on to say "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.
In Chapter 2, I really like how he talks about the desire to be important. I think that is a major thing that not many actually think of. I really like how he talked about showing appreciation. I feel like appreciation is super important, specially in girls! I like the story he tells about the guy buying his wife roses instead of complaining about what she could do better! 
One of my favorite quotes from the last chapter of part one is "If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own." I think that is something we do not do very often, because we are so focused on our points of view. It's hard to make friends or even get people to stand to be around you if you do not try to see others points of view. I really like part two so far. I like how he puts it when he says "If we want to make friends, let's put ourselves out to do things for other people-things that require time, energy, unselfishness and thoughtfulness." That is so true, making friends takes effort and actually thinking of someone other than yourself.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment